6 WAYS TO BE A BETTER LISTENER
- LEARN – Listen with the purpose to learn, not be quick to tell what you know.
- INTENTIONAL – this begins with asking with intent to learn, not tell what you know. Eye contact, smiles, and body position are keys to being an active, intentional listener.
- SILENCE – train to be comfortable with silence. This is a good time to enjoy the moment. Let others speak first.
- TALK LESS than you listen unless you have something important to say.
- ENCOURAGEMENT is oxygen to the mind and love to the heart. Praise improves hearing.
- NO NEGATIVES – speak about others as if they were in the conversation. Speak gratitude.
When people talk about people they love, admire, and respect, listening is nearly always a character quality that sets these people apart.
You now have 6 listening skills to master. The benefit will be the people who will value you at a deep level.