DELIGHT – DELIGHTFUL – DELIGHTED, Part 2
Another good definition of delight is “inclination to great pleasure.” Here are some of the many places in the Bible that talk about delight.
- GOD’S PART – “He will take great delight in you…” Zephaniah 3:17
- GOD’S PART IN MERCY – “Who is a God like you…you do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.”
- GOD’S PART IN JESUS – “For God was pleased (delighted) to have all His fullness dwell in Him.” Colossians 1:19
- OUR PART – “But his delight is in the law of the Lord…” Psalm 1:2
- DAVID’S PART – “Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in His salvation.” Psalm 35:9
- CHILDREN’S PART – “Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.” Proverbs 29:17
- THE BOASTING PERSON’S PART – “But let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight says the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:24
- ST. PAUL’S PART – “This is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses…for when I am weak, then I am strong.” II Corinthians 12:10
Interesting that the focus of our pleasure will determine the course of our lives. May we be humbled when we see how much God shows delight. Our joy is not frozen by winter.
Nothing on the outside can cut it off when we drink from God’s pure river. Indeed, it is a river, not just a stream which can be stopped up. Although we may have sorrows, it is better to be sorrowful on the surface, but rejoicing deep down, than to be glad on the surface, but having a gnawing unrest underneath.
Psalm 36:8 — “…You give them drink from your rivers of delights.” God is the fountain!