THE FINGER OF GOD, Part 2
We all need discernment, especially in decision-making. Here are some examples:
- Between right and wrong, or between my right and your wrong
- Between left or right path
- Between winning or losing
- Between all or nothing (extremism)
- Between my way or the high way
- Between the common good or all for me
God has given Christians the Holy Spirit. When we are assailed by strong evil, Jesus says demons can be cast out by the finger of God. This strong evil can be stymied by the finger of God, which is the power of the Holy Spirit. This is how and where we can receive discernment.
It is hard to understand, but the Holy Spirit etches His truth in our innermost beings through His Word. In addition, it is the Holy Spirit within us that enables our new life in Christ. Finally, it is the Holy Spirit’s limitless power over the strong man’s finite power.
If we want to imagine another premise, God’s finger can be a prefiguration of His hand, His arm. No wonder why God is greater! “Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world” (I John 4:4).
In our decision-making, there are three questions we should ask:
- Is it the finger of God, or is it the thief acting as a masquerading serpent?
- Can we validate our decision based on crystal-clear instructions from God’s Holy Word?
- Have you consulted with at least two trustworthy mentors?
My prayer is the same as St. Paul in Philippians 1:9-10: “And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.”