THANKFUL BEATS UNTHANKFUL
As in the lyrics of “Ungrateful Eyes,” do we ever stop and watch the stars shine? This may give us a clue if we are thankful or unthankful.
Being thankful in the midst of the unthankfulness is similar to:
- Being comfortable in the uncomfortable;
- Being warm in the cold;
- Being joyful in suffering;
- Being energized in exhaustion;
- Being upright when upside down;
- Being forgiving when in betrayal;
- Being unselfish among the selfish;
- Being a gracious servant when others do not serve.
Yet, unthankfulness is thoughtlessness and unrepaid thanks. “Unhappiness is a contagious disease caused by a chronic deficiency of gratitude.” ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana
On the other side, thankfulness is overwhelmed, indebted with the benefit received… and consciously expresses the appreciation.
“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” ` Meister Eckhart